Candy and Candy Wrappers
Candy is not your pet’s friend. Even though they seem to like it as much as their owners! The smell, taste and the bright wrappers attract them. According to Pet Poison Hotline 80% of candy related calls were from dog owners last year. Chocolate contains methylxanthine; a compound similar to caffeine. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and even death. Dark chocolate poses a bigger risk; two one-ounce squares can cause death in a 20lb dog, the same dog would have to eat one pound of milk chocolate.
Over indulgence without these toxic effects can lead to serious issues such as pancreatitis that may need hospitalization to treat.
With the advent of sugar-free candies there is a new risk from xylitol. It is the agent that makes them sweet, but can cause serious illness in pets. It is considered 100 times more toxic than chocolate. It causes a severe and sudden drop in blood glucose (hypoglycemia) that can be life threatening.
Remember that the wrappers can cause gastrointestinal irritation and possibly a blockage that may need surgery to fix.
Not every pet loves the outfit we try and put him or her in. Consider stress as well as making sure they can move, breath and vocalize normally. If your pets like to chew, monitor them so they do not ingest any of the costume parts. This can cause obstruction or it can contain materials, such as zinc, that can be toxic to your pet. The recent National Retailer Federation survey found that 14.3% of respondents plan to dress their pets in costume, spending about $350million.
Dyes labeled safe for human use may not be safe for animals. So take care if you are tempted to dye your pet’s fur.
Who knew that cats really like glow sticks/jewelry? The majority of the calls related to this toxicity are for cats. They puncture the item and get the glow material in the mouth; causing pain, irritation and drooling. If not treated lead to loss of appetite and serious complications.
Candles should never be left unattended as an inquisitive puppy/kitten may get too close and get burnt. Candles can easily be knocked over and cause a fire.
Trick or Treat
The constant ringing of the doorbell can be excruciating to all but the most social pet. Consider putting Fido and Fluffy in a room away from the action. It will make it less stressful for them. Also it makes sure that they do not have the opportunity to sneak out. While you are enjoying handing out candy they can get lost in the excitement of the evening.
Making sure they have up to date ID tags on their collar or a microchip placed. This will make sure that if the worst happens, they have the best chance of getting home.
Pranks and Cruelty
While most of us enjoy Halloween there are some people that use this as an excuse to be cruel to animals, particularly black cats. Outdoor cats should be encouraged to stay indoors around this time and other pets should not be left unattended in the yard. If your pet feels too stressed by the whole event, then ask your veterinarian for options to keep your pet calm and happy.